2. Juli 2012

Bette Davis...

Just a few quotes of brilliant actress Bette Davis. Enjoy!



The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane'?


 This became a credo of mine: Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work. 



  To fulfill a dream, to be allowed to sweat over lonely labor, to be given a chance to create, is the meat and potatoes of life. The money is the gravy. As everyone else, I love to dunk my crust in it. But alone, it is not a diet designed to keep body and soul together. 



I do not regret one professional enemy I have made. Any actor who doesn't dare to make an enemy should get out of the business.



  I am doomed to an eternity of compulsive work. No set goal achieved satisfies. Success only breeds a new goal. The golden apple devoured has seeds. It is endless. 

 Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies. 


 I was never beautiful like Miss Hayworth or Miss Lamarr. I was known as the little brown wren. Who'd want to get me at the end of the picture?

 In this business, until you're known as a monster you're not a star. 


  A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else 


 Without wonder and insight, acting is just a trade. With it, it becomes creation. 

  I will not retire while I've still got my legs and my make-up box. 


  I would take a bad script and a good director any day against a good script and a bad director. 

 Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life. 


 From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it. 

  I often think that a slightly exposed shoulder emerging from a long satin nightgown packed more sex than two naked bodies in bed. 


 The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone's concern and like vampires they suck out life's blood. 


 I survived because I was tougher than anybody else. 

 Everybody has a heart. Except some people. 


  Old age is no place for sissies. 


 Good actors I've worked with all started out making faces in a mirror, and you keep making faces all your life.

I don't think of myself as a character actress - that's become a phrase which means you've had it.



 When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen